Vanborough vs Willowhock

Date: 3rd August 1998                                                                                                    Location: Vanborough, Hants
Our story starts with a cricket match between Vanborough and Willowhock played at Vanborough on a Sunday afternoon. In common with all Vanborough home matches the Neamus family arrived at about 1.00pm to open the pavilion, mark out the pitch and prepare for the teas. The remaining Vanborough players arrived between 1:40 and 2:05. The visiting team arrived by Minibus just after 2pm, except for Alan and Peter Johnson, who arrived by car a few minutes later together with Alan’s wife Tracey and the Willowhock umpire Reg Herbert.
Willowhock won the toss and elected to bat first. Their innings started at 2:30pm and continued until tea at 5:00pm. An opening stand of 23 was followed by two wickets in successive balls for Andy Smith. Captain Roger Cox then joined Peter Flynn in a stand of 44 before Flynn was caught behind off Sykes for a solid 40. Roger Cox went on to make 55 before being trapped leg before by Walker. Some hard hitting and quick singles from Mike Fagan and Derek West took Willowhock to 172 for 7 by tea, at which point Cox declared. Vanborough went into bat after tea. They had an early disaster when their opener, Pete Mallard, was run out without facing a ball. Rick Neamus and Colin Stewart set about recovering the situation against some hostile Willowhock bowling, particularly from Alan Johnson. Colin Stewart was particularly severe against anything short, despite being hit on shoulder by a bouncer from Johnson. He called for a helmet, but Neamus rather stupidly refused one. Neamus was later hit on the head by a further bouncer from Johnson. It drew blood and a big lump came up on his head. After some attention Neamus bravely decided to continue, this time wearing a helmet. The dismissal of Stewart for 30,
yorked by Brook, brought to the crease Hailey Brent, England Ladies new cap and only lady player in the league. After a nervous start Miss Brent seemed to be getting into her stride when she was run out after a disastrous call by Neamus. Roger West was removed without scoring, soon followed by Brian Neamus in the third run out debacle of the innings. Rick Neamus departed soon after, his dour resistance being ended by a nick to Williams at second slip off West. At 73 for 7 it all looked lost, but Wells and Smith ensured that the tail wagged. Smith’s departure for 13 and Sykes for 12, both to Cook, saw the home side’s innings close 25 short of their target, with Wells left undefeated on 37.



Peter Flynn c Stewart b Sykes 40
James Brown c Stewart b Smith 12
Arthur Evans b Smith 0
Roger Cox lbw b Walker 55
Peter Johnson b Walker 8
Mike Fagan c Walker b Wells 17
John Cook b Wells 2
Derek West not out 11
Rex Williams not out 3
Darren Brook
Alan Johnson
extras 24
7 wickets declared 172
O M R W nb w
David Sykes 8 1 31 1 3 1
Andy Smith 12 3 34 2 1 0
Brett Walker 12 0 43 2 2 2
John Wells 6 1 34 2 0 0
Adam West 6 2 15 0 0 0
Rick Neamus c Williams b West 22
Pete Mallard run out 0
Colin Stewart b Brook 30
Hailey Brett run out 7
Roger West b P Johnson 0
Brian Neamus run out 3
Brett Walker b West 2
John Wells not out 37
Adam West c Cox b Williams 3
Andy Smith b Cook 13
David Sykes b Cook 12
extras 19
all out 148
Bowling O M R W nb w
Alan Johnson 5 3 10 0 1 2
Darren Brook 8 2 39 1 0 1
Derek West 11 3 38 2 0 0
Rex Williams 3 0 23 1 1 5
Peter Johnson 5 0 23 1 0 0
John Cook 8 4 10 2 0 0